Acceptance Week 2020: TBD
We host an Annual Autism Acceptance Week to spread acceptance to Autism Spectrum Disorder. People with autism face numerous, often hidden, challenges every day, and Acceptance Week is a way to remind the Cal community of the importance of autism research, acceptance, and support.
Why is Autism Acceptance important?
- Autism is the fastest growing developmental disorder, yet the most underfunded.
- 35 percent of young adults (ages 19-23) with autism have not had a job or received postgraduate education after leaving high school. (Shattuck et al., 2012)
- Better overall understanding of autism may improve:
- the chances of an early diagnosis and support for infants with Autism
- lower incidents of bullying at school for children with Autism
- employment prospects for adults with Autism